Friday, July 31, 2026

He Ain't Heavy, He's MY Brother (reposted story poem)

 You know, I often write about relationships, dialogue, and the importance of feminine aspects and energy. My poems are all about goddesses as archetypes and guiding voices and forces against patriarchy.  But there is a special quality that families and life also have on the male side of things.

Brothers have a very powerful supportive influence within a family that can last into adulthood and throughout our lives. And that's the way it is between my brothers and I. I have a lot of fond memories in my family, and I am the youngest of three brothers. Last evening, my middle brother passed away. I love him so, and he has meant so much to me throughout my life...

Prayers would be appreciated as we mourn his passing.

Some years back I wrote a poem on this blog about my brother Dave....  and here it is,,, Dave...rest in peace and God be with you! ~~~Namaste--my brother





Little David and the Dancing Monkey

by Tim Kavi


when across the eddying

spheres of time

there is an existence in

a moment

between young and old


is it the generations

talking?

or just me myself

longing for something I knew

or making sense of what

I am taught


the clever young minstrel did sing

and dance

doing battles for the great

and good

on a journey to the West


Are you me?

The minstrel asked.


No, I am Sun Wukong.

I use my skills

like this...swoosh swoosh

swoosh!


I see! Said the minstrel

preparing his stringed

instrument


I am named after you, though

I am your nephew

Little David


Uncle David smiled

chuckled

and said: You were dancing

quite a bit

let me sing you a song

while you rest


Oh? You play the guitar!

My father told me

Oh, what a treat!


It is my own Journey to the West

while my guitar gently weeps

playing notes of blest or blast

roaring like a stratocaster

but please be calmed


and like a David and his harp


soon the notes filled the air

with sweet sounds

of poetry flying there


the young Sun Wukong

could not stop himself

he danced and twirled

like some Dervishes

from another place


"I can tell you are a legend

You should never settle for less

hang on to the skirt of existence

such preciousness in Guan Yin

rises to meet you

and bless"


Uncle David did sing!


while the prettiest sounds

that little boy

ever heard

the Fender did bring


and when the song ended

the little dancer

that Monkey King

had tears in his eyes


Oh Uncle David!

You sing so nice.

Thank you so much!


Uncle David smiled

No problem, he said


at that moment

Little David's father

entered the room


Father! Father!

Uncle David sang me a song

and played his guitar

You were right!


Yes son, life is great

art and love

and family and truth

are all around us


to Uncle, father said

Thank you!

It's great to see you!


Uncle David smiled

Father said

Little David's mother

had prepared

an evening meal


a supper for a dancing monkey

a skilled minstrel

a poet father

two brothers

and a clever child


Father??

Yes son?

After supper

may I show Uncle David

my moves

with my monkey stick?


Yes son,

but please be careful

you can put an eye out

with that thing!


everyone laughed.




No comments:

Post a Comment