Friday, December 19, 2008

Fading of the Night (New Poem) With Poet's Afterword

"Fading of the Night"
by Tim Kavi


dancing in the firelight
flaming embers
fled in the night
chased our passions
to the grove

under the smell of
mangos
and salt air
waves crashing
at the beach

I kissed you
goddess

you kissed back
and night's black
disappeared
into thin air

your love
brings the precious
day
where night had
always been
where I hid
ashamed
of all
the things I did

yet you loved
me
though I am
imperfect
you loved
me
broken in pieces

your love
brought me
from the brink

yet you did not
want to always be
the only one that saved us

so in our next kiss
it was our love
that brought us both
back from the abyss.

poet's brief afterword: a poem about the redemptive qualities of love. The word 'abyss' at the end of the poem is used in a Buberian sense. If Buber's German word was used instead, it would be his word for mismeeting: vergegnung. Consequently, it is the power of their love for each other that has brought the lovers back from a significant misunderstanding, disagreement, or falling out. Also the abyss used in an existential sense often means a significant gap between two persons, realities, or cultures, or a psychological sense of deep seprateness or separation--so that a (temporary) sense of despair might follow.--T.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment