Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Latest Poem: Watching Dancers with Poet's Afterword





"Watching Dancers"
by Tim Kavi

sweet dancers
we behold you
lovely romancers
your love is
ballads
and poems
in view

your gliding
feet
compose all
the words
so sweet

that we
cannot think of
anything but you

your joint
love
turns time
back
restores
youth
saves
the dying

we are
students
in your
dancing
lessons

with great
efforts
trying
to copy your movements
on the floor!

even the
meek
can see
that
your love
can speak
in songs
never sung before

for your
dancing
love
is in
the heavens
declared

as angels
and longing
mortals
stared

we are
all
taught by
you

and even
if for
a moment
loved

if we dared.

Poet's Afterword:

inspirations to write this poem: the other night I was watching a Fred Astaire movie..it made me think of Astaire and Rogers, Gene Kelly etc. Need I say more? :-)
As I saw the movie I was inspired. Also, something very specific happened during one of my recent trips to China. In September 2007 when I was in Xian, I had gone out with some friends from the University (my teacher friend Darrel and his GF, and a mutual friend Miss Li). There was an older couple there, and we were all listening to a very nice bar band at a very nice tourist hotel in Xian. The older couple to our surprise got up and did some ballroom dancing beautifully and flawlessly. We were all inspired. They were so obviously in love each dance was filled with poetry in motion. I have never forgotten it... -- T.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment